Sunday, February 8, 2009

Italy




The summer of freshman year I went on a tour of Italy with my mother. The tour was going to start a few days after my birthday so we flew to Barcelona a few days before the actual tour started, to celebrate. There I had the opportunity to visit some of the buildings of my favorite architect, Antoni Gaudi. I went to La Sagrada Familia, and Casa Batllo. On my birthday my mother took me to a flamenco show and we sat in the front row. During the show one of the performers blew me a kiss and I got it on film. She was really sweet, and had the strongest singing voice I’ve ever heard.
Some of the places we went to in Italy were Rome, The Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, Florence, and Venice. Florence was beautiful, and if I were going to live anywhere it would be there, but Venice beat them all. I have never been anywhere as beautiful as Venice. It was the most amazing place and I never wanted to leave. Being there felt like walking around in a painting. One thing that I found hilarious was that in every restaurant that I went to in Venice they were playing the soundtrack from Grease!
When we were in Florence one night my mother and I strayed away from our tour group and got lost. I remember actually being scared. We walked past this Laundromat and asked somebody if they knew how to get back to the Hotel Cavour, and miracle of miracles it was an American couple who actually knew where we were going!
I must say that my favorite place I visited that was not in Florence or Venice was The Vatican. The Vatican actually did not have a holy feel at all, but it was spectacular. I actually got to walk through the place where every pope was buried! That was really creepy in an awesome way. My favorite place in the Vatican, and maybe in all of Italy, was the Sistine Chapel. It is such a shame that they won’t let you take pictures but it is completely understandable. Now, the Sistine Chapel did feel holy. That was truly an experience I will NEVER forget. Actually, the whole trip was an experience I will never forget. It was the best 15th birthday present EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment